Thursday, October 6, 2011

Jen's White Chicken Chili

I made this white chicken chili for the General RS Broadcast and had several requests for it that night - the funny thing is that I started off with a white chicken chili but I thought it was too spicy and not very colorful, so I started adding things.  I'll try to remember what I did. 

1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed, soaked and drained.  (I did the quick soak method, with 2 min of boiling).
5-6 cups chicken broth (I used the broth from my chicken, plus 1-2 boxes)
4 tbsp butter (1/2 stick)
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 med. onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced (with seeds if you want spicy)
1 can green chilies
2 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. italian seasoning (or use oregano & basil)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1-2 cans kidney beans
1 can Rotel Tomatoes
1 lb. chicken, chopped (or use a rotisserie chicken or a whole chicken de-boned)
Salt & Pepper, to taste

For the broadcast, I took a frozen whole chicken and placed it in my crockpot with about 4 cups water and carrots, onions, celery, rosemary twigs, garlic & season salt.  I let that cook for about 10 hours on low.  Once cooled, I de-boned the chicken, diced it up, and set aside. I then strained the broth to use as part of my chicken stock. You could totally just buy a Rotisserie Chicken or cook your own chicken breasts and omit cooking your own chicken.
Rinse beans and soak for 2 hours, drain. Set aside.
Place beans in large pot with 5-6 cups chicken stock and bring to boil over high heat. 
In a small food processor, mince the onion, garlic, and jalapeno - together is fine.
In a saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, jalapeno & canned chilies and saute for 5 minutes.
Add this mixture to the pot of boiling beans.
Add diced chicken, cumin, italian seasoning, pepper,  and red pepper flakes.
Add 1 can Rotel Tomatoes.
Lower heat to medium and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add 1-2 cans of kidney beans, drained. 
Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until all the beans are done. 
You may add some cilantro leaves, if desired.   
Add salt to taste - this will be a personal preference, but beans needs a lot of salt!

No comments: